I have been an avid karaoke goer for close to fifteen years now and I've traveled to venues up and down western Washington as well as a few places in southern California. I have been to good venues,great venues and god awful shows that shouldn't even be running. For the most part what will make or break a karaoke show is the kj ( aka karaoke jockey). I have come up with a list of things that I feel will make a great karaoke host and a list of things I've seen that are sure ways to fail as a karaoke host. Without further ado, here I go..
- Be engaging and energetic with the audience: Whether you are working a bar with fifty people or five people you should make the crowd feel like they are having a great time and they are the star of the show when they are up to the mic.When a host is great they are going to make great tips as well. The shows will get bigger and bigger followings and in return the bar will be making more money. It's a win- win!
- Have a great sound system with a great diverse selection of songs: I'm not talking about bass cracking windows, but having a great mixture of bass and clear crisp sound and hearing the singers voice come through like a pro. The kj's songbook should hopefully be a decent size (5,000 plus songs is key now a days) Have all the genres represented here. Also keeping the book current is a must unless the kj is working an older club,such as the Elks.
- Keep the rotation fair!: It's so important at busy shows that the rotation stays in order. Yes new singers will come in but you also have patrons that have been there since the beginning of the night and they shouldn't have to wait a long time because someone just walked off the street and wants to be put right up.
- Don't be drunk or on recreation drugs during shows: This is a biggie because drugs and alcohol are previlent in the entertainment business. Bars are very tempting because of what they offer but I recommend the kj's stick with coffee,water or Red Bull.
Ok now onto the list of things hosts shouldn't do:
- Don't become a kj if you don't know your equipment: There is nothing worse than going up to sing and you sing a couple lyrics and then a massive amount of reverb comes out of the speakers and the kj looks at you in horror and then proceeds to start flipping a bunch of switches on the sound board hoping that the machine will function. Please know your equipment before you try to seek work at bars and clubs.
- Don't make lewd sexual comments: I have seen a couple hosts make rude remarks towards ladies in the audience with names like "Juggs" or "Tits Magee". DON'T INSULT YOUR CROWD! You not only hurt your reputation and company name, but at the same time you will hurt business for the bar your working.
- Don't hound or beg the crowd for tips: I know that kj's don't make much money. Some even less than minimum wage, however it's bad edicate to go into a song and dance about how you will have to start living out of your car if you don't get a jar full of twenty dollar bills. Leave a big jar marked "tips" by your booth. You don't have to say a thing and if people like you and the show then they will tip.
- Leave yourself out of the rotation if it gets large: Some kj's are full of themselves and think they are the star of the show. Sorry, but the patrons are supposed to be the stars. If it's a slow night and only five to six people are singing then it's totally fine for a kj to start the rotation. However, if a rotation is twenty or more then the kj needs to set him or herself aside and let the patrons sing!
Well in a nutshell that is my list. I hope you all enjoy it and were entertained. Take care and keep singing!!
-Stephen
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment