Stephen Whitener's Mancave

Stephen Whitener's Mancave

Friday, August 12, 2011

A blog for local karaoke enthusiasts!

Bellingham used to be one of the best karaoke cities in Washington state. Back in 2006-2008 was the golden age. Karaoke went 7 nights a week and multiple venues. Every bar is packing eager singers in with at least a dozen people rotation a night.
We fast forward to 2011 and Bellingham is virtually a barren wasteland when it comes to karaoke venues that are decent. Most is to blame on laziness of karaoke hosts and drug/alcohol abuse. The rest is to blame on the bar owners whom were either tax evaders or drug runners.
I want to stress that not all the shows in whatcom county are bad. There are a select few who seem to have their stuff together and have a good crowd on their given nights. However there is one company in town that has really put a bad taste in singers and bar owners mouths. I don't want to really mention the name here and don't feel I need to because anyone who reads this will know exactly who I'm talking about.
What I keep hearing and at this point it's starting to sound like a broken record, is that people are tired of this person and want to see them out of business. Well if you want this to happen then don't go to this companies shows! It's that simple folks. I personally don't go to this companies show because of what the owner represents. Again I'm not going into the finer points of why said person is a douchebag....readers of this will again know whom I'm referring to. The way to end the reign of this companies power over the city of subdued excitement...STOP GOING TO THEIR SHOWS!!!!!!
I know some of you might argue," but Stephen I love singing and it's the only place to go." I will tell you to do your homework :-) At a number of local bars there is the Northwest Karaoke Entertainment newspaper. In it you will find tons of venues local and not so local. I have a list of places below to go that are local and semi local that are not affiliated with the above company:

- The Fairhaven Pub- shows run every wensday starting @ 9pm.
The Fairhaven runs a quality show and tends to fill up quick so I recommend getting there early in the eve if you want to sing 3 times. DJ Seamus and Bam have been running the show here for years and have built a good following of folks.

- Bobby Lee's in Everson - shows run thursday,friday,& saturday starting @ 9pm
This might be a little out of the way,but if you like to sing alot then I recommend coming here on a thursday night. Saturday is when this place can get quite wild! It is also alot of fun when owner Bobby Lee kj's. He's full of energy and sometimes will break out musical instruments to join you in your song!

- The Uncanny Valley - this is not a venue, but what it is is the best rockaroke band around!! The UV have played shows at The Fairhaven and lately at the Village Pub. In september they are going to be playing at the new Shakedown bar on north state street. If you have never experienced rockaroke before then you owe it to yourself to try the Uncanny Valley out. These fine gents tend to draw a large crowd so get to the venue early in the night to get your song in!

Now I give you some good venues south of whatcom county

- Skagit Casino hosted by Rocky and Kristine Fields -every thursday 8pm til midnight- To me this is the definitive show! I have gone here since 2006 and have loved everytime I go. Usually the shows are either asses and elbows or a little quieter...it's like a box of chocolates! Great singers from 'round the sound come here and even famous music acts will come in for karaoke when in town! Great sound,big stage,big screen tv with great music videos and two great people who make you truly feel at home. This place is my karaoke home!

- The Conway Pub in Conway- shows run friday & saturday starting @ 9:30pm. A couple miles south of Mt. Vernon will bring you to the small blink and you'll miss it town of Conway. What you won't want to miss is the damn fine karaoke going on here during the weekend! The place fills up fast and is loaded with good singers and better looking people.

- Danny's Midway Pub in Smokey Point - shows run 7 days a week starting @ 9pm. I have been to Danny's several times now and have always had fun with my buddies there. They have a huge catalog of music to go through and a decent sound system. Usually if you go during the week you can sing alot (which I love!)

- The Blue Moon Lounge in Everett - shows run thursday-sunday starting @ 9pm. Easy place to find right off Broadway. This place is a tiny venue,but what isn't tiny is the booming sound here! Jim really knows how to run his sound board and make you sound great. Half the bar usually becomes a dance floor. The patrons here are very supportive of the singers.

There are other venues as well but I won't go into further details. Like I said be sure to check the NW Karaoke Ent. newspaper for more venues.

I want to start on another subject here which is of great concern to me. I was informed last night that Rocky and Kristine's karaoke show at the Skagit casino may very well end in two weeks.....this was shocking news to me and many others. I don't understand the casino's logic behind this at all! So many people come in to the casino and give them their hard earned money and alot of that is thanks to the outstanding show that the Field's run here. On a personal note Rocky and Kristine are two of the most genuine,kind, and giving people that I have ever met in my life and I love them both and am truly honored to call them my friends. I think that's why this hits even harder to me is that because these are close friends and I want my friends to do well in life and not get the royal shaft!
If the Skagit casino decides to stop karaoke here or get another cheaper host, then I will boycott the casino and make it very public for fellow karaoke goers to not support this establishment any longer! This is a slap in all the singers faces and let me tell you there are many,many of us. I personally am writing a long letter to the casino to voice my opinion and I truly hope all of you will follow suit!
Like I said earlier in the blog the Skagit casino show is my karaoke home. I love the venue and the people. So many great folks like George aka Grumpy, Byron, Papa James,Trouble, Gretchen & Larry,etc... Great singers and good friends that I've made here over the past four years. I know the old saying goes," All good things must come to an end" Well I don't want this ending anytime soon and it doesn't need to! Please Skagit do the right thing and keep the Rocky & Kristine show going! If you don't the karaoke gods shall smite you forever (hee-hee)

Thanks to everyone who has read this!
Cheers
Stephen Whitener

No comments:

Post a Comment