Stephen Whitener's Mancave

Stephen Whitener's Mancave

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The horrors and good things of online dating!

Hey all you out there on the inter-webs! It's Stephen back with a blog about online dating. Online dating a couple years back was thought by many to be a sketchy way to meet people, however in 2011 it is regarded as just as a legitimate way of meeting someone as going to church,college,coffee house,etc..
I have done online dating now for a couple years. I've had my shares of busts and it's hard for me to say successes because I'm still single. I have made a very good friendship out of one. I want to go through a list of stuff that a person should do when coming up with a profile.

1. Have a pic of yourself from the current year- I have seen so many people post a number of pictures of themselves,but it is from two to five years ago. Much can happen in that period and often it does to the people whom do this. Mostly it's a significant amount of weight gain. Right off the bat when meeting said person they are starting out on a lie....bad!!

2. Is their profile complete? - On many sites I've been on there will be a pic of a very attractive woman and when you go to read the profile the site tells you that the person of interest hasn't filled out their profile info. If you are hoping for a relationship that will last then you need the 411 on them!

3. Be honest! - If you don't like physical contact then don't post that your an affectionate person looking for a cuddle buddy! I've been on a couple dates where the person claimed they were very affectionate and loved hugs but at the end of the eve they deflected...I thought to myself," maybe she's just got the first date jitters?" So I gave them another chance on the second date and again hesitate to hug and no chance of a quick peck on the lips. I won't be fooled a third time and I hope you won't either!

4. Be ready if your going to put yourself out there - I have been on a number of dates where the person is still in love with their ex or are still trying to get over a recent abusive relationship. They are constantly negative and in foul moods. Stay away from these kind of people! I know from experience!! These aren't necessarily bad people but they do need time to straighten their lives out.

5. Know where you are!- There are tons of dating sites out there and there are many made for specific people types. There are BBW and BHM* sites, there are sites like Geek 2 Geek that obviously cater to the geek culture, and so on. What I hate is when someone is on say a BBW dating site and they state in there profile they don't like fat people! Hello? McFly?? (* Big Beautiful Women/Big Handsome Men)

6. Are they within driving distance?- I have tried a long distance relationship before and since I'm certainly not made of money and have a full time job, it didn't work out. If you can find someone in your same town then that is fantastic! I try to keep a 60 miles away and under rule for finding someone. I know this is different for everyone, so what ever works for you!

7. Do you share common interests? Are gambling and boat riding two of your favorite things but the person your checking out hates them? Look for some common ground. The two of you dig They Might Be Giants and shuffleboard on thursdays! Woot! Least you've found some common interests that will make for conversation and entertainment.

This list wasn't made as a slam at all on women. In fact I would love to hear the opinions of women who have also done online dating and their experiences. I do have a couple friends that are online dating success stories and have gotten married and are very happy. I say kudos to them and best of luck! I try to keep optimistic there is that right one out there for me :-)

Take care
Stephen

5.

No comments:

Post a Comment