Stephen Whitener's Mancave

Stephen Whitener's Mancave

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Make comics fun again!!!

In the late 1980's-early 90's comics took a dark turn. Story lines paralleled current events going on in the world. Heroes would kill the villains now instead of being content with putting them in jail. Many of the superheroes would pack guns and the way many artists drew them, made them look like the very villains they were trying to take down!
The question in my mind raised is," Why are these characters even called superheroes anymore?" The hero rescues the citizen from the evil-doer and puts them into the max security prison. To me a hero doesn't take out a hand cannon and blow the villains brains out in front of the person he/she just saved! Yes I know that this is the way Charles Bronson did it in the Death Wish series, but that series is also not geared for kids....that's just it too is that comics biggest audience are children from six to sixteen years old.
I know that there is an adult audience as well whom loves and reads comics (myself included), however the major comic book studios DC and Marvel need to work on making comics fun again! Does Spider Man need to worry because his gay Cuban neighbor overdosed on cocaine? Shouldn't it be a back to basics story of the Green Goblin and his group of goons are trying to rob the museum who recently acquired the worlds largest diamond? Spidey would swing in and thwart the group using his classic array of one liners.
Spider Man used to enjoy his job as a hero and not worry over whether Aunt May's social security check came in or not. Another thing in mainstream comics is the series bogged down with continuity and multi storylines that run through eight different books. Old school comics from the 50's and 60's would have a simple intro on the front page that would give you a quick run down of what the heroes origin,powers,etc... I didn't matter whether you picked up issue one or one hundred, you could get right into the story and enjoy yourself instead of having to try to go on wikipedia and find out which version of the villain you are looking at!
Now I enjoy mature reader titles and I know I'm coming off like I probably don't. What I'm trying to get across is that there needs to be more kid friendly titles. I'm not talking about Disney characters or Casper the ghost either. I mean superhero comics that are light hearted and exciting that will make a kid super excited for the next months issue!
I'm actually seriously considering doing something like this myself. A fun throw back comic that anyone could pick up and follow and would be full of action and enjoyment! I'll keep you kids posted.

Excelsior!
Stephen Whitener

No comments:

Post a Comment