Stephen Whitener's Mancave

Stephen Whitener's Mancave

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Times they are a changin!

Wow I am just becoming the blogging fool here, and yes it is another blog about karaoke. Today I heard news that The Fairhaven Pub is permanently closing their doors this weekend. Thus one more good karaoke show in Bellingham has been eliminated. It's a sad week for local karaoke because I've had two kj friends lose their venues and another who is more than likely going to be next week....man the state of karaoke just keeps getting sadder and sadder in the city of subdued excitement!
What hurts most here is that these folks are good people. They are friendly,non-drug users and they have legit music...no illegal downloaded business here! I hope these guys can all rebound and find better gigs and come back stronger than ever. That is my hope! Some may say I'm foolish, but like Steve Perry says,"don't stop believin!"
I think many rich business men come into Bellingham with the idea in their heads that our town is another Bellevue and they can charge outrageous prices on food and drinks and people will keep coming....wrong! Everyone knows Bellingham is primarily a college town and the local bars are largely supported by those dollars. Dollars that are very hard to come by! The Fairhaven, while very nice, charged way too much for their drinks. What is sad is that they had good acts come through their establishment.
I realize however that Fairhaven is a fancier part of town and the prices match that. I want to see diversity in the karaoke in town! There shouldn't be a monopoly. Variety is the spice of life and I would love to see a number of different kj's in town with shows running seven days a week again. Snohomish county has become a mecca for karaoke as of late! From Smokey Point to Lynwood there are so many places to go! I tend to journey that way almost once a week now for good karaoke. It's sad because it doesn't exist in Bellingham anymore!

Cheers
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment